So my Uncle Jim and I have this thing where we send emails back and forth throughout the college football season. He's an Arkansas Razorback fan (huh?!?!) and of course I back the Texas Longhorns. We debate which teams are the best in the country, who should be ranked where, why the BCS is so messed up, and we give each other a hard time about the others' respective teams. Jim gets on me for liking the soft, overrated, underachieving Horns (His words, not mine.) while I give him heck for liking a very average team that rides the momentum of a very deep conference. While these email barbs are more than just a little biased, they have, unfortunately, turned out to be at least a bit true this season. Anyway, the point of this post is this: After taunting me about the Horns falling to the ags and the 'backs beating Number 1 LSU this past Saturday, he asked me how, if I could come up with a playoff system, which everyone knows D-1 football needs, and what it would look like. I took him up on that offer, and here is my very unscientific, unresearched bracket:
In my imaginary bracket, the top four bcs teams get a first-round bye, so if the season ended today (with no conference championships) West Virginia, Missouri, Ohio St, and Georgia get the first round off, with the No 1's-Mizzou & WVa-playing the 6/3 winner, and the No 2's-OSU & UGA- playing the 5/4 winners in their bracket. Also, I'm doing this without the bcs polls in front of me, so the rankings may not be exactly appropriate, but neither is the current way of figuring a champion, so whatever.
In the Mizzou/UGA bracket, we have the 6 seed Boston College Eagles taking on the 3 seed USC Trojans, and the 5 seed Hawaii Warriors facing the 4 seed Kansas Jayhawks.
In the WVa/OSU braket, the 6 seed 0u sooners face the 3 seed the University of Florida, while the 5 seed VaTech Hokies get a chance to redeem themselves against the 4 seed, LSU Tigers.*
*In real life, lsu and vatech wouldn't play each other in the first round, since they faced off early int he regular season, but they seem to be more on the same level now, so it's the best i can do for now.
In my mind's eye, i see USC advancing to play Mizzou, and Hawaii going on to play UGA. In the other bracket, we've got UF advancing to play West Va, and LSU playing OSU.
In the Nat'l Quarters, USC beats Mizzou, UGA beats Hawaii on one side, while West Va beats Florida, and LSU gets past Ohio State in the other bracket.
The Semi's I've got UGA and West Va succeeding to play each other in the National Championship, a rematch of Steve Slaton and Pat White's coming out party of the 2005 Sugar Bowl.
And the winner is.......................I really don't know. Probably Georgia, seems like they're one of the hottest teams in the nation right now, although i think it'd be a great game. It's funny how the bracket comes out when you go into it without any idea where it's heading. Don't know if this version would actually work, but it's a start. Also, I know that I had two teams that had first-round byes (Mizzou and OSU) losing their first game after the bye, but in a season like this, would it really surprise anyone?
Please feel free to comment on where you think I'm wrong and what the hey, show me who you think would prevail in such a playoff.
4 comments:
Lancelot,
Great work on the playoff format.
I don't see anything here to quibble with, so I'll just voice my opinion that the West Virginia Mountaineers would probably come out on top in your hypothetical tournament, just as I believe they will win the flesh and blood "tournament" taking place right now.
It just seems like they do one thing, score large amounts of points, better than anyone else currently in national title contention does a comparable "one thing".
White & Slaton in '08.
Yeah, i think these two "finalists" are probably playing the best football right now out of anyone, although usc may say otherwise. Hard to say who'd win, but i'll go with the 'Dawgs. I mean, they have a Texan at qb, of course they're gonna win.
-Lance
Lance, you're awesome. Now, to follow along in your sports-talk footsteps, I think it's time for Kayla to write a post about her fantasy draft experience :)
My opinion is you're still learning my young nephew. You should have waited until after Saturday (Conference Championships were played in case you missed it)to post your picks. Mizzou is so over rated and you'll see that in the Cotton Bowl with the most prolific college running back since Hershel Walker on January 1st! It is a crying shamne you put so much trust in the Big 12.
Post a Comment